- Course Number:
- PE 183M
- Course Title:
- Advanced Volkswalking
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an independent opportunity to exceed age-related walking and fitness levels through an individualized walking program and active participation in Volkswalking events. Requirement: Weekly walking log reports submitted via current PCC email account. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Student provides appropriate sport clothing for activity. Sport shoes designed for walking are required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Exceed age-related walking and fitness levels through participating in a regular walking program at an advanced level.
- Apply developed skills and techniques for a lifelong walking fitness plan.
- Track walking and fitness levels by maintaining a walking/fitness log.
- Utilize methods developed for walk pacing and timing in order to exceed age-related walking and fitness levels.
- Participate in community Volkswalking events.
- Recognize/develop skills for holistic health
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post walking/fitness testing
- Individual fitness participation
- Personal walking/fitness log
- Volkswalking event participation records
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Target heart rate zone training
- Perceived rate of exertion technique
- Pace/speed setting for walking
- Components of fitness/walking
- Appreciation and benefits of lifelong Volkswalking activities
- Safety concepts
- Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
- Apply components of fitness to advanced levels
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate walking levels
- Alter routine for special weather and physical conditions
- Select appropriate level Volkswalking events
- Maintain walking/fitness log