- Course Number:
- PE 183I
- Course Title:
- Beginning Volkswalking
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an independent opportunity to approach age-related walking and fitness levels through an individualized walking program and active participation in Volkswalking events. Requirement: Weekly walking log reports submitted via current PCC email account. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Student provides appropriate sport clothing for activity. Sport shoes designed for walking are required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Maintain physical conditioning through participating in a regular walking program.
- Apply developed skills and techniques for a lifelong walking fitness plan.
- Track walking and fitness levels by maintaining a walking/fitness log.
- Utilize methods developed for walk pacing and timing.
- Participate in community Volkswalking events.
- Recognize/develop skills for holistic health
Course Activities and Design
- Practice warm-ups, cool-downs
- Apply components of fitness to beginning levels
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate walking levels
- Alter routine for special weather and physical conditions
- Select appropriate level Volkswalking events
- Maintain walking/fitness log
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post walking/fitness testing
- Individual fitness participation
- Personal walking/fitness log records
- Volkswalking event participation records
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Target heart rate zone training
- Perceived rate of exertion technique
- Pace/speed setting for walking
- Components of fitness/walking
- Appreciation and benefits of lifelong Volkswalking activities
- Safety concepts