Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 183
- Course Number:
- PE 183
- Course Title:
- Beginning Bowling
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper bowling. Presents the history of bowling as well as the equipment, terminology and etiquette of the sport. Promotes and emphasizes improved cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition through sport specific activity. May be repeated twice for credit. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Classes will be held at a nearby Bowling Center. Fees will be posted in the class information and will include shoes, ball and use of lanes.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Bowling including but not limited to skill-related fitness, muscular fitness and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective skills and techniques for bowling
- Apply knowledge of rules, etiquette and scoring when bowling
- Develop a lifelong fitness health and wellness program that includes Bowling
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Course Activities and Design
- Game play
- Bowling skill specific drills
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance & Active participation - Game play
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Personal program records/portfolios
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warmup and cooldown
- Practicing bowling skills through drills and game play
- Scoring games