Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182X
- Course Number:
- PE 182X
- Course Title:
- NIA Technique
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the Nia technique as a mind/body discipline that blends key elements of the martial, dance, and healing arts to provide a safe, exciting, and joyful fitness program. Applies the design and function of The Body's Way to achieve physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual fitness and well-being. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Apply sensory, kinesthetic and body alignment and awareness to fitness and beyond through the Nia technique.
- Perform safe and effective Nia exercises.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness assessments
- Active participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Personal program records/portfolios
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Somatic experiences of:
- The 13 Nia Principles
- The 5 Sensations of Fitness
- The 5 Principles of The Bodys Way
- Use body awareness, imagination, emotional liberation and unique expression to energize and enrich the movement experience.
- Modify movements to adapt to ones own level of conditioning and range of motion.
- Increase body flexibility, strength, agility, mobility and stability.
- Develop organic skill in a wide variety of movement styles.