Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182W
- Course Number:
- PE 182W
- Course Title:
- Physical Activity for Weight Control
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces an independent and progressive activity program for overweight, sedentary, and/or older students. Recommended for those students who would like help with weight control through activity, and who have their doctor's permission to begin an activity program. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students provide appropriate sport clothing for activity.
Sport shoes designed for walking are required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Maintain improved physical and cardiovascular conditioning to help obtain/maintain healthy body composition.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Course Activities and Design
- Apply present physical condition to appropriate physical activity levels.
- Apply mental exercise towards activity and eating strategies.
- Maintain physical activity log and journal.
- Fitness testing for cardiovascular endurance and body composition.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post physical activity and body composition testing.
- Individual fitness participation.
- Personal physical activity log and journal.
- Participation in discussion assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Mental motivational strategies
Target Heart Rate
Appreciation of benefits of lifelong activity and healthy eating