Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182W Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- PE 182W
- Course Title:
- Physical Activity for Weight Control
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces an independent and applied physical exercise program to promote physical activity and improve body composition. Promotes healthy behavior change patterns. Covers the application of pre- and post-fitness assessment. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve physical and cardiovascular conditioning through an individually planned exercise program.
- Implement behavior change techniques to improve overall fitness and health.
- Apply pre/post body composition assessment techniques.
Course Activities and Design
- Assessment of caloric nutritional intake through a nutrition calculator/nutrition log
- Maintain physical activity log and journal.
- Fitness testing utilizing BMI and body measurements
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/Post physical exercise and BMI measurement.
- Weekly log/journal to track physical exercise
- Participation in discussion assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
*Mental motivational strategies
*Intensity monitoring via target heart rate
*Components of fitness including stretching, aerobic and muscular strength
*Personal fitness and nutritional program design