Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182V Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- PE 182V
- Course Title:
- Sports Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers cardiorespiratory fitness, functional training, agility, balance, and teamwork through a variety of team sports. Geared towards practicing specific sport related skills and applying learned skills in game/action environment. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic/cardiorespiratory exercise. General class format includes a warm-up, a cardiorespiratory conditioning segment, muscular endurance and strength exercises, stretches for flexibility and relaxation, and a cool-down.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improve overall physical conditioning through sport specific participation, including but not limited to improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility, and sports performance.
- Perform safe and effective sport specific exercises.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active Participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test methods
- Learning to identify the core muscles and how they support the body in movement
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Safety concepts for Core Fitness exercises (exercises, environment, equipment, progression)
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal-setting for fitness
- Personal fitness program design
- Modify exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness level