Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182T
- Course Number:
- PE 182T
- Course Title:
- Triathlon Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPrepares student for olympic and/or Sprint distance swim, bike, run triathlon. Focuses on endurance training and transition work for the three events. Covers basic metabolic and nutritional concepts, triathlon rules, and equipment. Requirements: Student must have their own bike and helmet (CPSC or ANSI). Student must arrange their transportation to off campus events. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionPrepare students for Olympic (~.9 mile swim, 24.8 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run) and/or Sprint (~1/2 of Olympic) distance triathlons. The class will be conducted on the PCC Sylvania. Mini triathlons may be scheduled so students will need to make prior accommodations for transportation.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Demonstrate improved multi sport conditioning
- Design a lifelong fitness program
- Recognize and apply the value and benefits of triathlon training.
- Develop skills for maintaining and improving overall conditioning
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises.
- Safe and effective swimming, biking, and running techniques.
- Safe and effective multi sport endurance training programs.
- Olympic triathlon rules, regulations, and terminology.
- Proper equipment selection, set up, and utilization.
- Metabolic and nutritional concepts for triathlon training
- Demonstrate safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises
- Develop, demonstrate, and implement safe and effective swimming, biking, and running techniques.
- Develop, demonstrate, and implement safe and effective multi sport endurance training programs
- Interpret Olympic Triathlon rules, regulations, and terminology.
- Demonstrate proper equipment selection, set up, and utilization.
- Interpret and apply metabolic and nutritional concepts for triathlon training.