- Course Number:
- PE 182T
- Course Title:
- Triathlon Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces preparation for Olympic and/or sprint distance swim, cycle, and run triathlon events. Focuses on endurance training and transition work. Covers basic metabolic and nutritional concepts, triathlon rules, and equipment. Requirement: Student must have their own bike and helmet (CPSC or ANSI). Student must arrange their transportation to off campus events. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Prepare students for Olympic (~.9 mile swim, 24.8 mile bike, and 6.2 mile run) and/or Sprint (~1/2 of Olympic) distance triathlons. The class will be conducted on the PCC Sylvania. Mini triathlons may be scheduled so students will need to make prior accommodations for transportation.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the class students should be able to:
- Demonstrate improved conditioning for running, cycling, and swimming
- Design a lifelong fitness program that incorporates triathlon-type activities.
- Apply the value and benefits of triathlon training.
- Develop skills for maintaining and improving overall conditioning through triathlon training.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises.
- Safe and effective swimming, biking, and running techniques.
- Safe and effective multi sport endurance training programs.
- Olympic triathlon rules, regulations, and terminology.
- Proper equipment selection, set up, and utilization.
- Metabolic and nutritional concepts for triathlon training
- Demonstrate safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises
- Develop, demonstrate, and implement safe and effective swimming, biking, and running techniques.
- Develop, demonstrate, and implement safe and effective multi sport endurance training programs
- Interpret Olympic Triathlon rules, regulations, and terminology.
- Demonstrate proper equipment selection, set up, and utilization.
- Interpret and apply metabolic and nutritional concepts for triathlon training.