- Course Number:
- PE 182Q
- Course Title:
- Self-Paced Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces a self-paced physical exercise program encompassing cardiovascular conditioning, strength training and flexibility exercises. Incorporates individual and independent physical exercise and requires tracking exercises in a log/journal. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is a hybrid course that may meet at the beginning and end of the term for pre/post evaluation. PCC email address is required and weekly submission of work to the instructor.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this class, students should be able to:
- Incorporate flexibility, cardiovascular conditioning and strength training in future exercise programs.
- Apply skills/techniques for lifelong fitness.
- Assess future fitness levels.
- Apply principles, terminology, and techniques for overall conditioning.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Personal program records/emails
- Incorporate flexibility, cardiovascular conditioning and strength training in future individual exercise program
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warm-ups, cool-downs
- Benefits of varied training/fitness choices
- Monitor the intensity of cardiovascular exercise via target heart rate and perceived rate of exertion (RPE)
- Personal fitness program design
- Components of fitness
- Appreciation and benefits of lifelong fitness
- Incorporate warm ups and cool downs in their weekly exercise routine.