Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182P Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- PE 182P
- Course Title:
- Pilates I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the practice of Pilates with a focus on increasing core strength and stabilization, muscle balance, tone, coordination, and flexibility. Incorporates non-impact mat exercises designed to develop whole body awareness and control, and includes modifications for various fitness levels. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course provides knowledge and skills in non-impact whole body exercise, which can be modified to all fitness levels. Benefits include increased core strength and stabilization, muscle tone, flexibility, improved posture and body/mind awareness. The exercises are based primarily on those created by the late Joseph H. Pilates. Students will provide their own exercise clothes and mats for class.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this class students should be able to:
- Apply principles and concepts of the Pilates method to mat work exercises.
- Improve core strength, muscle balance, control, and body awareness.
- Apply modifications to mat exercises with regard to proper alignment and safety.
- Develop a personal workout using Pilates-based exercises.
Course Activities and Design
- Improvement of overall physical conditioning through Pilates
- Perform safe and effective Pilates techniques
- Development of life-long fitness, health and wellness
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance and participation records.
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Active Participation/Effort
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Warm-up techniques/stretching
- Range of motion exercises
- Principals of spinal/alignment awareness
- Principal Concepts of the Pilates Method
- Flow/fluidity of movement
- Alignment techniques/neutral spine
- Fundamentals of Pre-Pilates exercises
- Pilates mat exercises/10 essential
- Level I and level II variations
- Safety concepts and aids
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Perform appropriate warm-up and Pilates fundamentals exercises.
Identify and demonstrate 10 basic body in balance mat exercises* with attention to proper alignment, control, and safety:
- Roll up
- Leg circles
- Rolling like a ball
- Single leg stretch
- Double leg stretch
- Spine stretch
- Swan dive
- Side kick series
Identify and demonstrate additional body in balance mat exercises with attention to proper alignment, control, and safety:
- Single leg stretch with twist
- Open leg balance
- Single and /or double leg kick
- Rest position
- Pelvic lift/marching
- Spine twist
- Push up position/leg pull
- Practice exercises in sequence, with increased repetitions, and with efficient transitions.
- Practice and properly demonstrate an individual mat work sequence.