Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182N
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- PE 182N
- Course Title:
- Adapted Physical Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides individuals with acute or chronic injuries or disabilities options to improve fitness, health, and overall wellness through structured group fitness activities and individualized exercises. Covers knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper group and individual fitness exercises on land or in water. Introduces activities that promote and emphasize improved cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Course focus varies by campus, term, and/or instructor. May be repeated twice for credit. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students will supply clothing. Loose fitting comfortable exercise clothing is required along with appropriate athletic style shoes. In the swim class, students provide swim suits. Swim goggles or aqua shoes are often helpful. Students may be asked to provide communication from physicians or other medical professionals who might assist with planning an appropriate exercise program. Both the exercise classes and swim class are conducted with small groups of students. Some exercise routines are individual while others may be performed with other students or with the other students or the entire class.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
§ Improve overall physical fitness conditioning through participation in a wide variety of adapted or modified fitness activities, including but not limited to improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
§ Perform safe and effective group and individual adapted or modified fitness exercises appropriate for various injuries or disabilities.
§ Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
§ Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Individualized pre and post testing with record keeping
- Exercise records and logs
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Appropriate pre and post testing
- Appropriate cardiovascular fitness program
- Appropriate muscular strength and endurance exercises
- Appropriate flexibility exercises
- Adaptive equipment and special assistance
- Appropriate warm up and cool down routines.
- Appropriate rehabilitation goals and exercises
- Safe progressions
- Goal setting
- Complete appropriate pre and post testing
- Participate in ongoing fitness program to include appropriate exercises for cardiovascular, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility training.
- Participate in regular warm up and cool down routines
- Participate in individualized rehabilitation exercises
- Demonstrate safe progressions
- Maintain testing and routine exercise records
- Reevaluate goals and program as needed