- Course Number:
- PE 182K
- Course Title:
- Yoga I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the values and skills of Hatha yoga. Includes basic yoga philosophy and exercises for increased flexibility, improved health, relaxation, and reduced stress in daily living. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
An average class includes asanas (exercises) for the major muscle groups, breathing techniques, balance activities, and skills for stress management. Course includes teacher directed activity, outside class research, planning, and study, films, videotapes, and the practice of relaxation techniques.
A Yoga card file and/or Yoga text is recommended to aid student learning and understanding. A completed physician's exam report is recommended.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning related to flexibility through participation in Hatha yoga.
- Develop and maintain a personal yoga practice.
- Recognize and apply the value and benefits of an on-going yoga practice
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participation Records
- Personal Programs
- Personal Diary
- Research Project
- Written assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Development and progression of:
- Kinesthetic Awareness
- Breath Control
- Introduction to relaxation techniques
- Experience the relationship between mind, body and spirit
- Introduction to yoga philosophies and language
- Elements of an on-going yoga practice
- Concepts and basics of warm up and cool down
- Safety principles in a yoga practice
- Practice warm up and cool down routines
- Demonstrate safety principles for asana practice
- Select asanas appropriate for personal needs
- Identify and apply relaxation techniques for stress reduction