- Course Number:
- PE 182H
- Course Title:
- Adult Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces exercises and activities that address the body as it develops through adulthood. Focuses on large muscle group strengthening, conditioning, and flexibility. Incorporates exercise safety regarding proper exercise techniques, and proper use of exercise equipment. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for walking or jogging.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the class students should be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning as it relates to cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
- Design a lifelong fitness program that incorporates large muscle group exercise.
- Apply proper exercise technique and equipment usage to ensure safe and effective exercise.
- Recognize and apply the value and benefits of physical fitness
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and Portfolios
- Pre and Post Testing of Physical Fitness
- Individual Programs
- Written Exams and Assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Principles of cardiovascular fitness
- Techniques of resistance
- Benefits and appreciation of physical fitness
- Develop flexibility training
- Body composition
- Practice warm up and cool down
- Demonstrate exercises for individual programs
- Operate exercise equipment safely using proper technique
- Demonstrate safe and appropriate program progression of exercises