Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182A Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- PE 182A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Group Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPromotes fitness, health, and overall wellness through structured group fitness classes. Introduces knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper group fitness exercises. The focus of the course and skills learned will vary by campus, term, and/or instructor. Emphasizes improved cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and/or body composition. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic exercise. Class format includes warm-up, a cardiovascular segment, muscular endurance and strength exercise, flexibility, and cooldown.
Intended Outcomes for the course
A.Continue to improve overall physical conditioning through cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
B.Perform safe and effective group fitness exercises.
C.Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active Participation
- Deomonstrations of proficiency
- Personal program records/portfolios
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test methods
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Safety concepts for group fitness exercises (exercises, environment, equipment, progression)
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal-setting for fitness
- Personal fitness program design
- Modify exercises and activities for varying physical conditions and individual fitness level