Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 181A
- Course Number:
- PE 181A
- Course Title:
- Beg Weight Training-Coed
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStresses the proper techniques of weight lifting and the development of muscular strength and endurance. Individual programs developed which allow for body and strength differences and safety in lifting. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionClasses will be conducted in a large group situation for lectures and warm-up. Workouts will be conducted alone or in pairs. Students will learn the correct and safe use of a variety of exercise resistance equipment. Each student will progress at a rate commensurate with his or her abilities. Pre and post testing will be conducted for muscular strength and endurance.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improve physical conditioning.
- Design a lifelong fitness plan.
- Apply weight training principles and techniques to personal life.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Records and portfolios
- Written exams
- Personal programs
- Pre and post testing.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)SUBJECT MATTER: CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES (TOPICAL AREAS)
- Principles of conditioning
- Components of fitness
- Beginning weight lifting techniques and progressions
- Care and use of equipment
- Benefits of weight training
- Myths and attitudes about weight training
- Appreciaiton of the role of strength training in lifelong fitness
- Practice warm-up and cool-down activities
- Operate weight room equipment safely using proper technique
- Choose proper machine or free weignt adjustments in relation to skeletal structure
- Select appropriate exercises to meet personal goals