Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 162O Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- PE 162O
- Course Title:
- Core Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves fitness, health, and overall wellness through structured group exercise. Performs safe and proper exercises to stabilize the core muscles which include back, abdominal, hip, pelvis and lateral trunk muscles. The focus of the course and skills learned will vary by campus, term, and/or instructor. Promotes improved cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and/or composition with special emphasis on involvement of strong core muscles. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic/cardiorespiratory exercise. General class format includes a warm-up, a cardiorespiratory conditioning segment, muscular endurance and strength exercises, stretches for flexibility and relaxation, and a cool-down.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improve overall physical conditioning through Core Fitness participation, including but not limited to improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective Core Fitness exercises.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active Participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Practice safe and effective warm-ups and cool-downs
- Intensity monitoring via target heart rate, Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE), and talk test methods
- Learning to identify the core muscles and how they support the body in movement
- Components of fitness-related physical fitness and their benefits for lifelong fitness
- Principles of exercise training
- Safety concepts for Core Fitness exercises (exercises, environment, equipment, progression)
- Personal fitness assessment
- Goal-setting for fitness
- personal fitness progrm design
- Modify exercises and activities for varyiny physical conditions and individual fitness level