Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 162B
- Course Number:
- PE 162B
- Course Title:
- Bhangra Fitness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves fitness, health, and overall wellness through a group aerobic fitness activity. Covers knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper group and individual fitness exercises in a progressive approach using Bhangra movements and movement patterns. Introduces activities that promote and emphasize improved cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. General class format includes a warm-up prior to the cardiorespiratory conditioning segment, which comprises the majority of the class. Muscular endurance and strength exercises, stretches for flexibility and relaxation, and a cool-down are also performed.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Bhangra Fitness, including but not limited to improvements in cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective group and individual fitness exercises.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre/post fitness testing
- Individual fitness programs
- Active participation
- Demonstrations of proficiency
- Personal program records/portfolios
- Written assignments and/or exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Kinesthetic Awareness
- Cardiorespiratory monitoring
- Interpret and apply the benefits of yoga postures
- Personal application of Yoga philosophies
- Demonstrate safety principles for future home practice
- Select movement patterns appropriate for personal needs