- Course Number:
- PE 143B
- Course Title:
- Aquatics Exercise II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIncludes aerobic exercise, strength conditioning and stretching movements set to music in an aquatics environment. Incorporates exercise in both shallow and deep water in order to take advantage of the natural buoyancy and resistance properties of water. Introduces exercises and equipment related to improving speed, agility and quickness. Swimming skills are not required. Recommended: PE 143A. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Utilize aquatic exercise skills to improve lifetime physical conditioning.
- Develop individual workouts for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
- Incorporate speed, agility, and quickness work into future workouts.
- Apply the value and benefits of exercising in the aquatics environment.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Beginning and end of term fitness assessments.
- Written personal workout? Class participation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises.
- Safe and effective use of equipment? Monitor heart rate as a means of controlling and assessing exercise intensity
- Ratings of perceived exertion scale
- Safe and effective aquatic exercise routines
- Strengthening of major and minor muscle groups
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Resistance properties of water
- Practice safe and effective warm-up, cool down, and flexibility exercises
- Demonstrate safe and effective use of the equipment
- Correctly utilize heart rate as a means of controlling and assessing exerciseintensity
- Utilize the Ratings of Perceived Exertion scale to assess and prescribe exercise intensity
- Perform safe and effective aquatic exercise routines
- Develop and improve strength in the major and minor muscle groups
- Identify the benefits and adaptations of cardiovascular exercise
- Apply the resistance properties of water to perform and develop aquatic exercise routines.
- Utilize AQx sports equipment/exercises to develop speed, quickness, and agility