- Course Number:
- PE 130D
- Course Title:
- Aquatic Adapted Physical Education I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides exercises that deal with acute or chronic injuries to improve fitness, health and overall wellness through structured water exercise. Develops knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper group and individual fitness exercises in the water. Introduces water activities to promote and emphasize cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Appropriate swim clothing is required along with aquatic shoes. Students may be asked to providecommunication from physicians or other medical professionals who might assist with planning anappropriate exercise program.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
1. Adapt water exercises learned to improve overall lifetime physical fitness.
2. Continue to participate in adapted water activities in order to improve cardiorespiratory fitness, muscular fitness and flexibility.
3. Access and assess community group and individual water exercise programs appropriate for various injuries or disabilities.
Course Activities and Design
Swim classes are conducted with small groups of students. Exercise routines will vary betweenindividual exercises, with another student or with the entire class.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Individualized pre- and post testing with record keeping? Exercise records and logs.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Aquatic warm-up and cool-down routines
- Appropriate water exercises to promote cardiovascular fitness.
- Appropriate water exercises to promote muscular strength and endurance.
- Appropriate water exercises to promote flexibility.
- Participation in individualized rehabilitation exercises.
- Demonstration of safe progressions in the water.
- Maintenance of pre-post testing and exercise records.
- Develop lifelong fitness, health and wellness.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.