Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 130D Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- PE 130D
- Course Title:
- Adapted Aquatic Physical Education I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides exercises that deal with acute or chronic injuries to improve fitness, health and overall wellness through structured water exercise. Covers knowledge and skills needed to perform safe and proper group and individual fitness exercises in the water. Introduces water activities to promote and emphasize cardiorespiratory conditioning, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Appropriate swim clothing is required along with aquatic shoes. Students may be asked to providecommunication from physicians or other medical professionals who might assist with planning anappropriate exercise program.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:1. Adapt exercises learned in water to improve overall physical fitness throughout their lifetime.2. Continue to participate in adapted water activities including cardiorespiratory fitness, musclefitness and flexibility.3. Assess and access community group and individual water exercise programs appropriate fortheir various injuries or disabilities.
Course Activities and Design
Swim classes are conducted with small groups of students. Exercise routines will vary betweenindividual exercises, with another student or with the entire class.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Individualized pre- and post testing with record keeping? Exercise records and logs.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Aquatic warm-up and cool-down routines
- Appropriate water exercises to promote cardiovascular fitness.
- Appropriate water exercises to promote muscular strength and endurance.
- Appropriate water exercises to promote flexibility.
- Participation in individualized rehabilitation exercises.
- Demonstration of safe progressions in the water.
- Maintenance of pre-post testing and exercise records.
- Develop lifelong fitness, health and wellness.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.