Course Content and Outcome Guide for OS 220
- Posted by:
- Djambel Unkov
- Course Number:
- OS 220
- Course Title:
- Business Editing Skills
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionBusiness Editing Skills Develops skills necessary for editing, transcribing, and writing memos, letters and e-mail. Emphasis: punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, and word use. Recommended: Qualify for WR 121, keyboard by touch and completion of a beginning word processing class, or consent of instructor.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students will use correct punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, and word usage when editing, transcribing, or writing business documents.
Students will think critically to produce mailable documents.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course. Assessment tasks may include:
- Objective tests
- Performance tests at the computer
- Homework assignments
- Other assessment methods may also be used
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Apply grammar and punctuation rules to business documents
- Use reference materials
- Develop a business vocabulary
- Use proofreader marks when editing
- Produce mailable business documents
- Must include at least one of the following:
- Document transcription using a transcribing machine and tapes
- Document composition at the computer keyboard
- Document transcription from live dictation
- Apply proofreading techniques when creating, editing, or transcribing business documents.
- Consult a reference manual and dictionary to find answers to language usage questions.
- Analyze personal language usage errors.
- Demonstrate proper operating techniques when using a transcription machine to transcribe business documents (optional).