Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUS 131 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- MUS 131
- Course Title:
- Group Vocal
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers basic technique and theory of vocal proficiency necessary to develop individual ability in solo or ensemble settings. Includes the application of breath support, projection, phrasing, and musical styles to support individual voices in solo repertoire. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of song structure to learn and perform vocal musical works.
- Exhibit musicianship through application of vocal technique.
- Use an understanding of vocal ranges and voice types in order to select suitable repertory.
- Execute appropriate vocal performance practices in accordance with generally accepted stylistic standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be based on students' application and understanding of technical concepts, class participation, assignments, comprehension tests, musical presentations and attendance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- breathing mechanism
- resonators (placement)
- articulators (teeth, lips, tongue)
- vocal health
- warm-up regimen
- practice techniques
- range and flexibility
- tone quality
- projection and power
- registers and breaks
- dramatic interpretation
- musicality, phrasing and dynamics
- performance etiquette and standard practice
- solo performance opportunities
- clarity of diction
- introduction to International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
- introduction to Italian pronunciation
- basic voice classification (Soprano, Mezzo, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, Bass)
- introduction to basic music reading and ear training
- musical styles
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Prepare and successfully perform solo vocal works.
- Identify appropriate repertoire according to technical level and vocal range.
- Successfully identify and execute proper performance etiquette.
- Properly execute exercises to prepare voice for signing.
- Develop and maintain a healthy voice.