Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 234
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- MUC 234
- Course Title:
- Income Tax Prep for Musicians
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPrepare federal and state individual returns, and introduces partnership and corporate taxation. Includes basics of record-keeping and financial planning.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Students will be able to prepare for Federal Tax Forms 1040 and Oregon State Form 40.
- Students will be able to prepare for Federal Schedule C (Profit or Loss from a Small Business).
- Students will be able to prepare for Schedules A and B.
- Students will be able to prepare for Schedule SE.
- Students will be able to set up a record-keeping system geared toward the preparation of taxes.
- Students will be able to make informed decisions about insurance, retirement funds, and responsible use of credit.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesThe type of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Assessment methods may include:
- Attendance and participation
- Creating a sample record-keeping format
- Financial planning strategy with regard to retirement, insurance, and responsible use of credit.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)COURSE CONTENT
- Form 1040 including filing status, exemptions, income and adjusted gross income
- Standard deduction and itemizing with Schedule A
- Schedule C: Profit or Loss from a Business
- Part I: Income
- Part II: Expenses
- Schedule SE: Self-employment Tax
- Retirement accounts (IRAs) and compound interest
- Life Insurance
- Using credit wisely
COMPETANCIES AND SKILLS
- Organize records for tax preparation
- Complete Form 1040
- Complete Form A/B
- Complete Schedule C
- Complete Schedule SE
- Plan a retirement account
- Make informed choices regarding life insurance
- Make informed choices regarding use of credit