- Course Number:
- MUC 227
- Course Title:
- Digital Recording 2
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Second course in a three part series. Focuses on mixing, automation and synchronization. Both graphic and console methods will be practiced. Lectures focus on theory, musical qualities and functions of both. Prerequisite: MUC 226. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Digital recording II is designed to bring the student to a competent level of operating the digital audio workstation. They will be able to complete a project from A/D transfer to final CD.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Prepares student for Mus 228. Student will be competent to project studio level. Student will be able to transfer, edit, mix, apply plug in effects, master and burn a CD using Digital Performer and the ProTools platform.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will be tested on techniques and functions by written exam. Labs are assessed on point accumulation based on demonstration of skills and critiques of material completed.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Configure and edit console automation
- Configure and edit computer based automation
- Slave and synchronize console to DAW / DAW to console
- Program, automate and apply CPU based effects
- Improve efficiency by using keyboard shortcuts
- Execute recording session utilizing digital gear