Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 167
- Course Number:
- MUC 167
- Course Title:
- The Music Business: Career Opportunities and Self Defense
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers what you need to know to pursue a career in music and the music business. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Comprehend and apply basics of copyrighting to be able to copyright their own songs.
- Gather and present information about song structures, royalties, band agreements, and songwriting and collaboration agreements.
- Use an understanding of the role of music publishers, agents, managers, and other business professionals to navigate a musical submission.
- Use reason, decision-making, and complex problem-solving in business settings in the music field.
Course Activities and Design
- Students will secure and fill out copyright forms for their own songs.
- Present their song structures and survey royalty, band, and songwriting collaboration agreements.
- Select a music publisher(s), agent, and manager to navigate a musical submission.
- Use reason and complex problem solving in music business settings.
- Use appropriate communication skills in situations related to music business.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Copyright forms are complete.
- Agreements are drafted and submitted.
- Correspondence with music publisher is examined.
- Any problems in the business setting are identified and solved.
- Communication is reviewed for content and clarity.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Copyright submission.
- Agreements of collaboration for bands and song writing.
- Musical submission to publisher(s).
- Sound decision making in the music business setting.
- Effective communication in music business setting.