Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 164
- Course Number:
- MUC 164
- Course Title:
- Survey of the Music Industry
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides overview of career options in the music industry. Focuses on making a reasonable and informed choice as to a career in music. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Students will be introduced to a wide scope of music industry careers.
- Students will meet industry professionals who will describe their careers including preparation, requisite skills, opportunities and experiences.
- Students will apply principles of time management.
- Students will be able to assess their marketable skills.
- Students will set short and long-term goals.
- Students will draft a career strategy.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The type of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Methods may include:
- Attendance and participation.
- Complete an individual time management study.
- Complete an assessment of professional skills.
- Complete a list of short and long-term goals.
- Draft a career strategy.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Performance: solo, group, leader/sideman
- Recording: studios, demos, projects
- Record labels and distribution
- Music merchandising and retail
- Journalism: reviewers and critics
- Private teaching
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Students will be able to effectively use time management to set priorities and accomplish their goals.
- Students will be able to assess their current and needed marketable skills.
- Students will be able to set short and long-term goals.
- Students will be able to plan for a career in the music industry.