Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 154B
- Course Number:
- MUC 154B
- Course Title:
- Band Performance Workshop
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionInvolves selection, rehearsals, and performance in a variety of musical styles, vocal and instrumental. Includes popular, jazz, and R&B. Further develops rehearsal and presentation skills. Students are involved with setup and flow of performance. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Perform a variety of musical genres in a variety of styles.
Instrumental students will be able to rehearse employing dynamics, nuances, ensemble roles and soloing techniques.
Vocal students will be able to determine the most effective genre(s) for each individuals vocal style, create harmonies, and experiment with improvisation.
Employ proper stage rehearsal procedures and etiquette.
Present a full set of cover material for a live performance.
Set up the flow of a live performance, prepare a song list order, segues, and visual choreography.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Evaluation will be based upon attendance and participation. Students will be expected to put in sufficient practice time to polish their individual parts. Students will be expected to conduct themselves professionally. A letter grade or "Pass/No Pass" will be issued.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The course consists of group and sectional rehearsals. Activities include:
- Rhythm section, horn, and vocal sectionals.
- Choosing appropriate performance material.
- Arranging material and creating charts where needed.
- Rehearsal procedures and etiquette including playing in tune, playing with appropriate dynamics, and learning arrangements.
- Correct use of musical equipment including set up and operation of amplifiers, PA, and microphone technique.
- Presentation of material for a live performance.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- The student will be able to choose material appropriate for available instrumentation and skill level.
- The student will be able to create and/or read a chart for an arrangement.
- The student will be able to perform a variety of instrumental and/or vocal selections.
- The students will be able to conduct themselves professionally in a group rehearsal setting.
- The student will be able to use correctly instrument amplifiers and PA equipment.
- The students will be able to present their material in a professional manner in a live performance.