- Course Number:
- MUC 154A
- Course Title:
- Band Performance Workshop
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionInvolves selection, rehearsals, and performance in a variety of musical styles, vocal and instrumental. Includes popular, jazz, and R&B. Develops rehearsal and presentation skills. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
Perform in a variety of musical genres in a variety of styles.
Employ proper stage rehearsal procedures and etiquette.
Instrumental students will be able to rehearse employing basic dynamics, accompaniment and 12- bar solo cycles.
Vocal students will be able to determine the most effective key for their voices and develop simple harmony parts where appropriate.
Present a small set of cover material for a live performance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Evaluation will be base upon attendance and participation. Students will be expected to put in sufficient practice time to polish their individual parts. A letter grade or "Pass/No Pass" will be issued.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The course consists of group and sectional rehearsals. Activities include:
- Rhythm section and horn sectionals.
- Rehearsal procedures and etiquette including playing in tune, playing with appropriate dynamics and phrasing in a section.
- Presentation of material for a live performance.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- The student will be able to play an arrangement in the stage band.
- The student will be able to play in tune and phrase with a section.
- The students will be able to conduct themselves professionally in a group rehearsal setting.
- The students will be able to present their material for a live performance.