Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 145B Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- MUC 145B
- Course Title:
- Group Guitar/Bass II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionAdvanced beginner to intermediate instruction for guitar and bass. Includes moveable chords, scales, patterns, and song forms. Also, open tuning and slide guitar, basic soloing and accompaniment techniques. CDA: Additional lab hours may be required. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
The student will learn intermediate techniques of playing the guitar and bass.
- The student will be able to play barre and moveable chords.
- The student will be able to play basic chord progressions up and down the neck.
- The student will be able to strum patterns appropriate for a variety of styles.
- The student will be able to play rhythm accompaniment for the 12-bar blues.
- The student will be able to improvise solo lines using two forms of the major and minor pentatonic scales.
- The student will be able to create bass lines using scale pattern for a variety of styles and rhythms.
- The student will be able to play in Open G tuning.
- The student will be able to play slide guitar in standard and Open G tunings.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The type of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Assessment methods may include:
- Group activity
- In-class participation
- Qualitative and/or quantitative examinations
- Practice diary
- Student self-evaluation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Applied music theory
- Moveable and barre chords
- Common chord progressions
- Strumming and picking patterns
- 12-bar blues form and comping patterns
- Major and minor pentatonic scales in two positions
- Improvisation and developing a solo
- Walking bass lines
- Open G tuning
- Slide guitar in standard and Open G tunings
- Practice routines
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Perform chord progressions by using moveable chords up and down the neck.
- Use appropriate strumming and picking patterns for a variety of styles.
- Improvise solo lines using two forms of the major and minor pentatonic scales in a variety of styles.
- Create bass lines using scale patterns for a variety of styles and rhythms.
- Play the guitar in Open G tuning.
- Play slide guitar in Open G and standard tunings.