Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 145A
- Course Number:
- MUC 145A
- Course Title:
- Group Guitar/Bass I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionBeginning instruction for guitar and bass. Includes basic chords, strums, patterns and song forms. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
The student will learn the fundamentals of playing the guitar and bass.
- The student will be able to play basic chord progressions in open keys.
- The student will be able to strum patterns appropriate for a variety of styles.
- The student will be able to fingerpick simple songs.
- The student will be able to play rhythm accompaniment for the 12-bar blues.
- The student will be able to improvise melody lines using the minor and major pentatonic scales.
- The student will be able to play simple bass lines using position scale patterns.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The type of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Assessment methods may include:
- Group activity
- In-class participation
- Qualitative and/or quantitative examinations
- Practical examination
- Practice diary
- Student self-evaluation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Guitar anatomy
- Beginning music theory
- 1st position chords
- Simple chord progression
- Fingerpicking and strumming patterns
- 12-bar blues form and rhythm patterns
- Minor and Major pentatonic scales
- Bass scale tones
- Developing bass lines
- Practice routines
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Perform basic chord progressions in open keys utilizing 1st position chords.
- Use appropriate strums or fingerpicking patterns.
- Apply major or minor pentatonic scales to improvise over chord progressions in several styles.
- Perform bass lines to support chord patterns in several styles.