Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 144 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- MUC 144
- Course Title:
- Contemporary Singing
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers basic technical skills necessary to develop individual ability in solo or ensemble performance. CDA: Additional lab hours may be required. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Material will be presented through lectures, demonstrations, and discussions as well as continual application of singing principles. Students will receive individual attention with their song, but instruction will be primarily directed to the group as a whole.
- Students will be able to treat their voice as a wind instrument.
- Students will be a able to demonstrate basic vocal production and breath support.
- Students will be able to sing a variety of warm up exercises.
- Students will be able to sing a song in two-part harmony.
- Students will be able to present a song to an audience.
- Students will become familiar with a variety of musical genres.
- Students will be able to maintain vocal health.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be based on class participation, assignments, song presentation, and attendance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Connection to and usage of breath support.
- Correct function of oscillators (vocal folds)
- Proper placement of sound in the resonating chamber
- Overall muscle relaxation
- Voice clarification (soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass)
- Rhythm and phrasing
- Ear training (intervals and chords)
- Introduction to reading music
- Performance etiquette
- Interpretation of a song
- Development of individual style
Competencies and Skills
- Develop and maintain a healthy voice
- Prepare and present a solo song
- Prepare and present a group song with two-part harmony