Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 120C Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- MUC 120C
- Course Title:
- Sight Singing and Ear Training III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops the ability to use the ear accurately to discern the quality of intervals, rhythms, harmonies and melodies, and to intone rhythms. Musical samples are transcribed by ear to include melody, rhythm, and harmony. Must have prerequisite or instructor permission. Prerequisites: MUC 120B. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Material will be presented through lectures, demonstrations, and discussions. Students will be able to identify aurally all major and minor intervals, all triads, all seventh chords, and to transcribe melodies.
- Students will be able to identify all major and minor intervals.
- Students will learn all major and minor scales.
- Students will able to apply the fundamentals of music notation.
- Students will be able to demonstrate basic vocal production and breath support.
- Students will be able to apply solfege to all scales.
- Students will be able to transcribe simple melodies.
- Students will be able to discern the 6 qualities of seventh chords and their solfege syllables.
- Students will be able to apply the basic function of harmony.
- Students will be able to transcribe simple melodies with harmony.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment will be based on class participation, assignments, exams, and attendance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identification of all major and minor intervals
- Transcription of simple melodies
- Identification of triads and seventh chords
- Introduction of fundamental harmony
- Transcription of melodies with simple chord progression
- Fundamentals of rhythmic patterns
- Simple Meters
- Compound meters
- Conducting: 4/4,3/4,2/4,6/8,2/2
- Subdivision of the beat
- Application of solfege syllables to all scales, triads, chords, and music examples
- Chapters 1-8 covered (Music for Sight Singing, 3 rd Edition, Benjamin/Horvit/Nelson)
- Connection to and usage of breath support
- Vocal warm up exercises
Competencies and Skills
- Ability to identify aurally all intervals, scales, triads, and seventh chords
- Ability to apply solfege syllables to simple melodies
- Ability to sing with proper breath support
- Ability to transcribe simple melodies with chord progressions