- Course Number:
- MUC 120C
- Course Title:
- Sight Singing and Ear Training III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionContinues development of skills to sing notation at sight and to identify and notate aural examples. Includes solfeggio, seventh chords, chromatic melodies, two-part rhythmic and melodic notation, and chord progressions. This is the third course in a three-course sequence. Prerequisites: MUC 120B or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Recognize and notate chromatic melodic examples in both simple and compound meters.
- Sing at sight chromatic melodies using solfeggio.
- Aurally identify, notate and sing seventh chord qualities using solfeggio.
- Aurally identify and notate two-part diatonic melodies and diatonic chord function.
- Demonstrate proper conducting patterns while singing exercises and melodies.
- Demonstrate proper breathing technique for support and concentration when singing exercises and melodies.
Course Activities and Design
Material will be presented in a lecture/lab format. Other educational methods will be used to enhance lectures. Includes the textbook Sightsinging: The Complete Method for Singers, music examples, and internet sites.
- In-class written and aural exercises
- In-class singing exercises and melodies
- Breathing exercises for breath support and concentration
- Homework assignments (chapters from the book, listening)
- Dictation examinations
- Singing examinations
- Class participation, small group work, and discussion
- Providing constructive critique and feedback to in-class participation
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Class participation (group work and discussion)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- The Chromatic Scale
- Chromatic Scale Solfeggio
- Mnemonic devices for interval recognition
- Seventh Chords (major, minor, dominant, half diminished, fully diminished, and major minor)
- Conducting (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 2/2, 6/8, 5/4)
- Chromatic scale melodies
- Chord Progressions
- Two-part rhythms
- Two-part melodies
- Breath Support, Relaxation, and Concentration
- Final Exams