Course Content and Outcome Guide for MUC 120B
- Course Number:
- MUC 120B
- Course Title:
- Sight Singing/Ear Training II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelop the ability to use the ear accurately to discern the quality of intervals, rhythms, harmonies and melodies, and to intone rhythms. Musical samples are transcribed by ear to include melody, rhythm, and harmony. Must have prerequisite or instructor permission. Prerequisite: MUC 120A. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the courseMaterial will be presented through lectures, demonstrations, and discussions. Students will be able to identify aurally all major and minor intervals, all triads, and to transcribe basic rhythmic patterns.
- Students will be able to identify all major and minor intervals.
- Students will learn the 12 major scales.
- Students will learn the 3 types of the minor scales.
- Students will be able to apply the fundamentals of music notation.
- Students will be able to demonstrate basic vocal production and breath support.
- Students will be able to apply solfege to all scales.
- Students will be able to discern the 4 qualities of triads.
- Students will be able to transcribe simple melodies.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesAssessment will be based on class participation, assignments, exams, and attendance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)Ear Training
- Identification of all major and minor intervals and scales
- Transcription of simple rhythmic patterns
- Transcription of simple melodies
- Identification of the 4 qualities of triads
- Fundamentals of rhythmic principles
- Simple meters
- Compound meters
- Conducting: 4/4, Ë, 2/4, 6/8, 2/2
- Subdivision of the beat
- Application of solfege syllables to the major scale and music examples
- Chapters 1-5 covered (Music for Sight Singing, 3 rd Edition, Benjamin/Horvit/Nelson)
- Application of solfege syllables to the minor scales
- Application of solfege syllables to the triads
- Connection to and usage of breath support
- Vocal warm up exercises
Competencies and Skills
- Ability to identify aurally all major and minor intervals
- Ability to transcribe simple rhythmic patterns
- Ability to sing solfege syllables in simple melodies
- Ability to sing simple rhythmic patterns
- Ability to sing with proper breath support
- Ability to identify the 4 qualities of triads
- Ability to transcribe simple melodies