Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 27C
- Course Number:
- MTH 27C
- Course Title:
- Applications in Mathematics
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionUse fractions, decimals, percents, integer arithmetic, and measurements to write, manipulate, interpret and solve applications and formulas. Concepts will be introduced numerically, graphically, symbolically, and in oral and written form. Scientific calculator with fraction capabilities required. Prerequisites: (ABE 0782 or placement into MTH 20) and (RD 80 or ESOL 250) Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
· Creatively and confidently use mathematical and other problem solving strategies to formulate problems", to solve problems using multiple approaches, and interpret results.
· Meet the prerequisites for further course work.
· Choose and perform accurate arithmetic operations in a variety of situations with and without a calculator.
· Present results numerically", symbolically, and graphically," and in written and oral form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment shall include:
1. At least one in-class examinations",
· No more than 50% of any test can be multiple choice
2. One in-class", proctored, individual cumulative final exam,
3. At least one written explanation of a mathematical concept",
4. At least one real-world application activity", and
5. At least two or more of the following additional measures:
a. Take-home examinations
b. Graded homework
d. Group projects
e. In-class activities
h. Individual projects
i. Individual student conference
j. Service learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Rational", integer, and percent arithmetic operations in context
- Appropriate use of technology
- Application of critical thinking skills to solve mathematical problems
- Data analysis
- BASIC ARITHMETIC FACTS,
- Solve application problems with fractions", decimals, and percents
- Determine square roots to specified decimal place", exponents, fraction key, add, subtract, multiply, divide, order of operations, parentheses
- Write answers to application problems as complete sentences.