Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 23C
- Course Number:
- MTH 23C
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Geometry
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionUse geometric properties to write, manipulate, interpret and solve application and formula problems. Concepts will be introduced numerically, graphically, symbolically, and in oral and written form. Scientific calculator with fraction capabilities required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
· Creatively and confidently use mathematical and other problem solving strategies to formulate problems", to solve problems using multiple approaches, and interpret results.
· Meet the prerequisites for further course work.
· Choose and perform accurate arithmetic operations in a variety of situations with and without a calculator.
· Present results numerically", symbolically, and graphically, and in written and oral form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment shall include:
1. At least one in-class examinations",
· No more than 50% of any test can be multiple choice
2. One in-class", proctored, individual cumulative final exam,
3. At least one written explanation of a mathematical concept",
4. At least one real-world application activity", and
5. At least one or more of the following additional measures:
a. Take-home examinations
b. Graded homework
d. Group projects
e. In-class activities
h. Individual projects
i. Individual student conference
j. Service learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Rational arithmetic operations in context
- Appropriate use of technology
- Application of critical thinking skills to solve mathematical problems
- Data analysis
- Recognize at least the following geometric shapes: triangles", quadrilaterals, circles, cubes, rectangular solids, cylinders, and spheres and the relationships between them
- Investigate angles and lines
- Determine the perimeter and area of polygons
- Determine the circumference and area of a circles
- Determine the volume of solids
- Determine side lengths using Pythagorean Theorem
- Determine square roots to specified decimal place", exponents, fraction key, add, subtract, multiply, divide, order of operations, parentheses
- Write answers to application problems as complete sentences.