Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 22C
- Course Number:
- MTH 22C
- Course Title:
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionUse both English and Metric measurements, conversions, temperature, and to write, manipulate, interpret and solve application and formula problems. Concepts will be introduced numerically, graphically, symbolically, and in oral and written form. Scientific calculator with fraction capabilities required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Creatively and confidently use mathematical and other problem solving strategies to formulate problems, to solve problems using multiple approaches, and interpret results.
· Meet the prerequisites for further course work.
· Choose and perform accurate arithmetic operations in a variety of situations with and without a calculator.
· Present results numerically, symbolically, and graphically, and in written and oral form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment shall include:
· At least one in-class examination,
a. No more than 50% of any test can be multiple choice
· One in-class, proctored, individual cumulative final exam,
· At least one written explanation of a mathematical concept,
· At least one real-world application activity, and
· At least one or more of the following additional measures:
a. Take-home examinations
b. Graded homework
d. Group projects
e. In-class activities
h. Individual projects
i. Individual student conference
j. Service learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Rational arithmetic operations in context
Appropriate use of technology
Application of critical thinking skills to solve mathematical problems
- Basic Measurements ,
- Convert measurements within the English and Metric systems
- Convert between measurement systems
- Measure objects to a specified unit
- Recognize critical temperature within the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales
- Convert Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures accurately using formulas
- Determine exponents, fraction key, add, subtract, multiply, divide, order of operations, parentheses
- Write answers to application problems as complete sentences.