- Course Number:
- MTH 15
- Course Title:
- Conquering Math Anxiety
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the concept of math identity and explores attitudes, emotions, and barriers towards math. Covers learning strategies to enhance math success, including math study skills, learning styles, test taking strategies, and math class preparation strategies.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Use focused strategies in approaching mathematics, including test-taking skills.
- Recognize emotions that trigger anxiety regarding mathematics and implement strategies to control anxiety.
- Exhibit behaviors that enhance student success and promote a positive math identity.
- Identify available campus resources, including the Student Learning Centers, that promote math success and effectively use these resources.
Course Activities and Design
In-class time is primarily class discussion, group activities, and some lecture.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Evaluation procedures will be discussed during the first day of class. The grading will be on a Pass/No Pass basis.
Assessment must include:
2. At least one writing assignment and,
3. May include at least one of the following additional measures:
a. In-class activities
c. Individual student conference
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
THEMES, CONCEPTS, & ISSUES:
1. Organizational skills
2. Homework strategies
3. Teamwork concepts
4. Anxiety reduction
5. Test-taking strategies
6. College resources
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
1. Group interaction and dynamics
2. Recognize math identity
3. Self-awareness of personal anxiety
4. Relaxation techniques
5. Time management
6. Study skills
7. Completing homework assignments