Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 11C
- Course Number:
- MTH 11C
- Course Title:
- Fundamentals of Arithmetic II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionUse fractions and decimals to write, manipulate, interpret and solve application and formula problems. Concepts will be introduced numerically, graphically, symbolically, and in oral and written form. Prerequisites: Pre-Algebra COMPASS score 1-20 or successful completion of MTH 10 with a "C" or better. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Creatively and confidently use mathematical and other problem solving strategies to formulate problems, to solve problems using multiple approaches, and interpret results.
· Meet the prerequisites for further course work.
· Choose and perform accurate arithmetic operations in a variety of situations with and without a calculator.
· Present results numerically, symbolically, and graphically, and in written and oral form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment shall include:
· At least two in-class examinations,
a. Fractions and decimals testing without calculator
b. No more than 50% of any test can be multiple choice
· One in-class, proctored, individual cumulative final exam,
· At least one written explanation of a mathematical concept,
· At least one real-world application activity, and
· At least two or more of the following additional measures:
a. Take-home examinations
b. Graded homework
d. Group projects
e. In-class activities
h. Individual projects
i. Individual student conference
j. Service learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Decimal, fraction, integer, and percent arithmetic operations in context
- Application of critical thinking skills to solve mathematical problems
- Team work
- Basic Arithmetic Facts,
- Master fraction and decimal vocabulary
- Solve numerical and application problems with fractions and decimals
- Round a given number to a specified place
- Arrange numbers in numerical order
- Perform order of operations accurately using fractions and decimals
- Develop skills in estimation and number sense
- Write answers to application problems as complete sentences.