Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 10C
- Course Number:
- MTH 10C
- Course Title:
- Fundamentals of Arithmetic I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionUse of whole numbers to write, manipulate, interpret and solve application and formula problems. Concepts will be introduced numerically, graphically, symbolically, and in oral and written form. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Creatively and confidently use mathematical and other problem solving strategies to formulate problems, to solve problems using multiple approaches, and interpret results.
· Meet the prerequisites for further course work.
· Choose and perform accurate arithmetic operations in a variety of situations with and without a calculator.
· Present results numerically, symbolically, and graphically, and in written and oral form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment shall include:
· At least two in-class examinations,
a. Whole numbers testing without calculator
b. No more than 50% of any test can be multiple choice
· One in-class, proctored, individual cumulative final exam,
· At least one written explanation of a mathematical concept,
· At least one real-world application activity, and
· At least two or more of the following additional measures:
a. Take-home examinations
b. Graded homework
d. Group projects
e. In-class activities
h. Individual projects
i. Individual student conference
j. Service learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Whole number arithmetic operations in context
- Application of critical thinking skills to solve mathematical problems
- Team work
- Basic Arithmetic Facts,
- Solve numerical and application problems with whole numbers
- Perform order of operations accurately using whole numbers
- Develop skills in estimation and number sense
- Write answers to application problems as complete sentences.