Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 216
- Posted by:
- Rebecca Robinson
- Course Number:
- MSD 216
- Course Title:
- Budgeting for Managers
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers budgeting vocabulary, finance principles, record keeping techniques, cash management, cash budgeting and capital budgeting. Recommended: Work-related budgeting experience. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Plan, execute, and control a budget in alignment with company goals.
Evaluate impact of budget results on financial reports
Explain and provide support for variances in a budget to management.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Complete exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Forecasting/estimating time and resources
- Selection of appropriate budgeting process
- Analyze budget results
- Read financial statements
- Document and explain budget variances
- Present budget results orally and in writing
- Explain budgeting process to a work group
- Decision making
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
- Rationale and purpose of budgeting
- Financial reports
- Management and supervisory roles and control
- Cost allocation
- Profit and cash flow
- Accounting process
- Budgeting process and procedures
- Alignment with organization goals
- Role of finance and accounting
- Budget variances
- Cost control strategies
- Appropriate use of technology