Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 179B
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- MSD 179B
- Course Title:
- Avoid Burnout:Build Resilience
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores symptoms of the five distinct and sequential stages of burnout; the three major areas of negative stress; the relationship between stress and burnout; the five distinct and interrelated characteristics of personal resilience; and the application of coping skills, antidotes and resilience to avoid burnout.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Develop an understanding of burnout and design a specific and detailed personal plan to avoid it.
- Understand the role that personal resilience plays in avoiding burnout.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identification of the stress experienced in each of the three major areas of negative stress.
- A personalized list of coping skills and antidotes to be used to avoid burnout.
- Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Develop a personalized list of effective coping and antidotes to be used during negative stress.
- Identify and strengthen personal resilience characteristics.
- Develop specific tactics for stopping the progression of burnout.
Burnout is completely avoidable when understood.
Highly resilient people do not burnout.
External stress is not the cause of burnout. How one deals with external and internal stress determines whether or not burnout occurs.