Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 177
- Course Number:
- MSD 177
- Course Title:
- Team Building
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDiscusses what team building is, why it is important, how to start it, how to manage the team building process, 12 components of generating team building development, and some selected tools for team building.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Build, motivate, adn lead a diverse team to perform productively in an organization.
- Assess and reward team performance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays,case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts..
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Complete exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identifying personal and team values
- Building self esteem
- Adapting to change
- Active listening
- Conflict management
- Oral and written communication
- Problem solving
- Personal and team values
- Managing differences/conflicts
- Assessment: readiness, effectiveness, rewards
- Implementing steps for team building
- Communication styles
- Aligning team goals with organizational goals
- Fixing broken teams
- Establishing the team concept in a work group
- Assessing readiness and rewarding effectiveness
- Identifying potential problems
- Creating a motivating climate
- Conflicting perceptions