Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 174
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- MSD 174
- Course Title:
- Time Management
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop focuses on learning how to evaluate time usage to make it more efficient and more effective. Topics include developing awareness of how we use our time, understanding productivity, developing a time management system, protecting our time, and additional time management tips.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Develop techniques for objectively evaluating current time usage and create a plan for more effective time usage.
- Explain the importance of charting our energy cycle and demonstrate how to use this method.
- Develop an action plan for increasing personal time management.
- Demonstrate how to turn interruptions into time opportunities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identify and present priorities for work and home life.
- Describe the purpose for keeping a time log and illustrate how to use this information in a time management plan.
- Identify six of the most common productivity killers.
- Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identifying the most common time wasters.
- Describe the steps for overcoming time wasters.
- Demonstrate how to set priorities and describe how to "stick" to them.
- Explain the importance of designing a plan to deal with a crisis situation.
- Create a time management action plan.
Designing an action plan that reduces or eliminates time wasters and learning how to say “no" will reduce delays in completing projects. Conflicts can arise from poor time management – being prepared is essential.
Integrating productive time management principles and understanding the importance of "being ruthless with time but gentle with people" are keys to effective time management.
Time management challenges arise when balancing an employee's personal needs with production schedules.