Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 159
- Course Number:
- MSD 159
- Course Title:
- Stress Control
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop focuses on understanding your own signs of stress. Includes techniques for preventing stress, identifications of personality factors and interpersonal factors related to stress, and job burnout. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Examines the causes of stress, on the job, at school and in personal relationships. Focuses on understanding personal signs of stress and techniques for preventing and coping with stress, identification of personality factors and interpersonal factors related to stress.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Use stress management techniques to mange personal stress in personal or work situations.
- Use stress management principles to minimize stress for employees in the workplace.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
· Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
· Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or complete an individual and/or team project or paper, which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Assessing personal stress
Developing stress reduction plans
Characteristics of resilience
Recognizing physical and emotional reactions to change
Integrating coping skills into work environment
Modifying work environment for others
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES:
Causes of stress
Stress reduction plans
Physical and emotional reactions to change
Supervisors can modify environment to minimize stress
Individuals can learn techniques to manage personal stress
Unmanaged stress leads to burnout
Integrating coping skills into the work environment