Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 157
- Course Number:
- MSD 157
- Course Title:
- Conflict Management
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop examines common causes of conflict and developing approaches for managing conflict for positive results. Content includes learning practical on-the-job techniques for working through conflict such as "cooperative conflict," dealing with anger, and prevention ideas.
Addendum to Course Description
Examines the dispute resolution and communication tools necessary to create and maintain rewarding workplace and personal relationships. Focuses on straight talk, uncovering hidden agendas and resolving conflict in ways that maintain respectful relationships and support for professional success. Explores learning to disagree without being disagreeable, exploring rather than debating, building relationships, and fixing problems without fixing blame.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Use learned skills in effective negotiation to take risks and try new approaches to resolving conflicts in personal or work situations.
- Disagree without being disagreeable, explore rather than debate, build relationships, and fix problems without assigning blame.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
· Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
· Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or complete an individual and/or team project or paper, which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Prepare problem statements
Recognize common causes of conflict
Principles of negotiation
Identifying hidden agendas
Building respectful relationships
Interest based negotiations
Disagree without being disagreeable
Explore rather than debate
Fix problems without fixing blame
Deal with confrontation
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES:
Learning to disagree
Soft, hard, and principled negotiation
Skill based strategies help resolve conflicts
Principled negotiation builds positive relationships
Reaching win-win resolution as preferred settlement
Preserving/building relationships while solving problems