Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 150 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- MSD 150
- Course Title:
- Listening Skills
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionAcquire an understanding of the techniques of active listening and communication skills. Communication techniques such as the perception check, interpretive listening, paraphrasing and questioning will be presented, and opportunity to practice these skills included. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Use listening skills to create more effective, less confrontational, more productive professional and personal relationships.
- Use strategies appropriately to improve one's ability to listen and to understand people.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Adapting to gender differences in listening
Adapting to nonverbal cues
Adapting to cultural differences
Telephone skills for listening
Improving listening skills
Creating effective relationships
Listening behaviors vary with culture/gender/generations
Interpreting nonverbal communication