Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 140
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- MSD 140
- Course Title:
- Management Workshops
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionManagement Workshops This workshop focuses on a wide range of management issues: maintaining quality, building teams, setting ethical standards, managing diversity, implementing technology, maintaining an effect organization, balancing authority and leadership, problem solving and decision making.
Intended Outcomes for the courseDescribe the relationship of the areas listed above in maintaining a successful organization.
• Explain how to keep organizational compliance with laws and regulations such as OSHA, Worker's Compensation, Labor and Employment Laws and International Trade issues.
• Describe why an organization needs to keep informed of new/innovative ideas.
• Explain the changing role of leadership in a global economy.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesGiven a management topic, describe how to effectively implement and/or maintain the concept.
• Explain the significance of various laws and regulations and describe the steps for ensuring organizational compliance.
• Develop a strategy for an organization to monitor the economic impact of the global marketplace.
• Create a plan that will help encourage the sharing of innovative ideas.
• Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
• Describe the various management issues organizations must contend with.
• Identify steps for ensuring the organization can implement innovative change.
• Describe the importance of a professional approach for internal and external communication.
• Demonstrate steps for identifying potential leaders and enhancing their skills.
• Identify the most crucial issues facing organizations today and explain how to address them.
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES
Challenges of management today include the global business environment, constant change and innovation, and utilizing technology to maximize production and communication.
The role of leaders is changing as business must balance costs with innovation and
adapt to a 24/7 environment.
New technology brings challenges for updating training and balancing production and quality.