Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 123 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- MSD 123
- Course Title:
- Job Search Strategies
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop explores strategies for finding the "right" job. Includes self-discovery, goal-setting, prospecting, networking, resume-writing, interviewing, career-planning, and self-marketing skills. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Examines and discusses setting a climate for intrinsic motivation. Includes examination of motivational theories, recognizing needs in the workplace, delegation, obstacles to motivation, effective recognition systems, and understanding emotional intelligence.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Use goal setting, self exploration, writing a
resume, and research to develop and act on a job
- Prepare, practice, and perform effectively in job
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or complete an individual and/or team project or paper, which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Self-assessment of skills, interests, values
- Goal setting
- Communicating positive perspectives
- Recognizing negative thinking patterns
- Developing job search strategies
- Effective interviewing
- Skills, interests, values
- Defining one's value to an organization
- Being proactive about weaknesses
- Goal setting
- Resume writing
- Career planning
- Job prospecting
- Value of thoughtful self-assessment for job search success
- Preparation is a valuable job search skill
- Successful job search requires strategy
- Presenting weaknesses in proactive manner
- Identifying one's personal value to an organization
- Doing well in an interview