Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 122 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- MSD 122
- Course Title:
- Motivation Without Manipulation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop will focus on setting a climate for intrinsic motivation. Topics include organizational theories and their impact, ranking needs in the workplace, delegation obstacles to motivation, recognition systems and emotional intelligence. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Discusses setting a climate for intrinsic motivation. Includes examination of motivational theories, recognizing needs in the workplace, delegation, obstacles to motivation, effective recognition systems, and understanding emotional intelligence.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Lead employees to effective individual and organization achievement by establishing a climate for intrinsic motivation.
- Use an understanding of motivation, delegation, and recognition to minimize or eliminate dissatisfaction.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Goal setting
- Assessing and removing obstacles to motivation
- Applying motivation theory to experience
- Selecting positive motivators to influence performance
- Decision making
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
- Positive climate for motivation
- Intrinsic motivation
- Effective delegation
- Identifying key individual motivators
- Maintaining a positive, productive work force
- Benefits/costs of competition
- Balancing supervisor/employee perspectives
- Setting goals
- Leading employees to achievement
- Empowering employees
- Building on intrinsic motivation
- Removing obstacles to promote positive atmosphere
- Preventing negative effects of delegation
- Incorporating Hertzberg's and Maslows theories into action
- Understanding employees perspectives