Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 121
- Posted by:
- Rebecca Robinson
- Course Number:
- MSD 121
- Course Title:
- Leadership Skill Development
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDiscusses new leadership theories and paradigm shifts and strategies for leading others and managing yourself. Topics include strategies for developing organizational visions, communication with clear meaning, developing trust through positioning, creating the learning organization, and sharing leadership through empowerment.
Addendum to Course Description
Discusses new leadership theories and paradigm shifts and strategies for leading others and managing yourself. Includes strategies for developing organizational visions, communication with clear meaning, developing trust through positioning, creating the learning organization, and sharing leadership through empowerment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Develop and foster personal perspective and voice for increased leadership effectiveness.
- Apply leadership skills and strategies to current business, community, or personal challenges.
- Recognize and seize leadership opportunities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Developing personal leadership perspective/voice
- Developing vision
- Open communication skills
- Taking risks
- Fostering collaboration
- Capacity to get results through others
- Empowering others
- Modeling integrity
- Recognizing/acknowledging/rewarding others
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
- Leadership theories
- Paradigm shifts
- Leadership modeling
- Personal voice
- Organizational vision
- Risk taking
- Strengthening others
- Celebrating values and victories
- Personal leadership perspective and voice
- Leadership effectiveness
- Seizing leadership opportunities
- Adapting an appropriate leadership style
- Appropriate use of technology
- Fostering collaboration, risk taking and innovation