Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 117 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- MSD 117
- Course Title:
- Customer Relations
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines the importance of organizational customer relations. Explores developing productive strategies for effective customer service. Includes analyzing customer needs, developing customer service policies, measuring customer satisfaction, listening skills, handling problems and concerns, building a team, and growing a business. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Examines the importance of organizational customer relations and developing productive techniques for effective customer service. Includes analyzing customer needs, developing customer service policies, measuring customer satisfaction, listening skills, handling problems and concerns, building a team, and growing a business.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Utilize a variety of organizational customer service strategies to identify, assess, predict and measure customer satisfaction in response to diverse customer needs.
- Evaluate effective culturally diverse customer service policies and standards to enhance an organizations ability to thrive in a global economy.
- Use appropriate customer service techniques to listen, resolve problems, and handle customer complaints to strengthen an organizations productivity.
- Develop key strategies for building customer loyalty, aligning customer needs with organizational goals.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as case studies, role-plays, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Identifying types of customers
- Developing customer as guest policies
- Culturally sensitive listening
- Questioning techniques
- Identifying problems
- Resolving customer relations problems
- Disarming chronic complainers
- Building an effective customer service team
- Enriching individual performance within team
- Building effective business relationships
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES
- Evaluating and nurturing customer relationships
- Retaining challenging customers
- Problem solving
- Cultural sensitivity
- Communication skills
- Diverse customer needs
- Culturally sensitive communication skills
- Creating lifelong customers
- Team performance vs. individual achievement
- Equal treatment
- Disagreeing without being disagreeable
- Anticipating problems