Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 116
- Course Number:
- MSD 116
- Course Title:
- Creative Thinking for Innovative Change
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIn today's-and tomorrow's- unpredictable and increasingly challenging world, we must make a fundamental choice: to be changed, inevitably, by the forces churning around us, or to be the change-leader through innovative actions. Learn how to jump-start your own creative, innovative thinking. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Solve complex problems and issues by using a variety of creative strategies, such as brainstorming, mind mapping, or analogical/metaphorical thinking.
Help an organization establish a creative and innovative climate
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Various individual and/or group skill-building activities such as role-plays, case studies, or other exercises geared toward critical analysis of course concepts.
- Written assignments or oral reports designed to integrate course material into personal experience or experiences of others.
- Complete exams comprised of essay and/or objective questions, or an individual and/or team project or paper which requires integration, application, and critical examination of course concepts, issues, and themes.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Mind mapping
- Metaphorical and analogical thinking
- Applying creative thinking to complex problems
- Rekindling innate creativity
- Suspending judgment
- Problem solving
- Having fun
CONCEPTS, THEMES & ISSUES:
- Creative thinking vs. critical thinking
- Encouraging innovation
- Change leadership
- Implementing change
- Stimulating creativity
- Motivational climate
- Paradigm shifts
- Solving complex problems and issues
- Principles of creative thinking
- Creating an innovative climate
- Blocks to creativity
- Barriers to goal achievement
- Thinking through complex problems
- Thriving with innovation